NEUROPRISON

[SETUP] The Jesus Lizard, Duane Denison + David Sims

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 31/3/2009, 00:54

fenomenologo da quattro soldi

Group:

ho trovato qua e là un po' di informazioni (diverse le avevo già ammucchiate sul Forum di Mike Patton con l' ausilio di Fantomas e Sga), magari possono interessarvi.

queste sono le foto dell' ultima prova in studio dei Jesus Lizard, che si stanno preparando alla reunion. Le ho prese dal Myspace

The rig Sims used for the Nashville practice. Photo- Sims

Duane's set up. Photo- Sims

ho trovato (giusto in questo istante) informazioni più dettagliate sul blog personale di Sims: http://davidwmsims.wordpress.com/2009/01/2...s-in-nashville/

CITAZIONE
Just got back from Nashville. The Jesus Lizard rehearsed and settled on a working list of twenty-nine songs for the upcoming shows. Mac’s still mystical, Yow funny, Duane bitter stalwart and true; it’s all good.

Thanks heaps to Paul Barker, Ashford Tucker, and the Admirals Club for lending gear, the Admirals Club again for letting us commandeer the rehearsal space, Elizabeth for hostessing, and Francesca for letting us watch Backyardigans.

The bass rig is Paul Barker’s. The head is a Traynor TS-200. I don’t know anything about the cabinets or speakers. They look homemade hand-crafted by artisanal loudspeaker cabinetiers. The black pedal is a Rat, which I’ve used forever. The purple pedal is a Red Snapper overdrive. I don’t know much about it. Duane bought it because Joe Barresi recommended it, and I was trying it out. I didn’t use it enough to form an opinion, but when Joe Barresi starts talking about pedals, you better listen up.

The bass is (sigh) the Memphis.

foto dei due pedali: http://davidwmsims.files.wordpress.com/200...jpg?w=500&h=375
testata e cassa sono di Paul Barker... il bassista dei Ministry e degli USSA.. mentre il basso e il Rat a quanto pare sono quelli che ha sempre usato.

riguardo al setup dei bei tempi andati, ho trovato il post di un tizio su un blog chissà dove
CITAZIONE
He usually played a Memphis Jazz Bass (fender copy), and used lots of different amps if I recall. On the song "mailman" for instance, he recorded it through 3 different amps: an Ampeg SVT classic, a Gallien-Kruger w/ Dietz cabinets, and a Traynor 50 watt head w/ a Dietz cabinet.

Live, I think he pretty much stuck to a gallien kruger head in to two Dietz 1 x 15" cabinets (which are loaded with a 400 watt EV driver).

parlando di Duane Denison, la chitarra che c'è nella foto la presenta lui stesso qui: http://www.gibson.com/bfg/denison.htm
da quel che so ha iniziato ad usarla nel 2007, con gli USSA

questo invece quello che dichiarava negli anni 90 riguardo la sua strumentazione:
CITAZIONE
The Jesus Lizard has nothing to do with gospel or Godzilla. But the Chicago-based foursome's striking brand of musically adept post-punk, first captured on their 1989 debut, has own critical acclaim and exploding underground notoriety. On the recently released Lash EP, the Lizard continues to deliver a lascivious prog-thrash punch by way of demented vocals, Ginsu-sharp rhythms, and crafty guitar lines.

"We never felt any affinity with the sloppy, garage, grunge-type stuff," claims guitarist Duane Denison. "We like to keep things pretty tight." Even though the band revels in snaky 5/8 and 7/8 grooves, Denison suggests that his band's basic approach isn't a far cry from the simple gut-rock of the Ramones or AC/DC: "It's just raw, unprocessed guitar and drum sounds with strong vocals."

Whether explosive lead singer David Yow is drunkenly howling or simply breathing hard, Denison provides meaty backup. "I generally stay in the pocket," he notes, "and once in a while I'll lay in some unusual chords or a melodic figure that goes against the grain. You have to be careful, though;; the more complicated and calculated you get, the less rock comes through."

Denison, who spent a year studying flamenco early in his career, favors the clean, bright sound of Travis Bean guitars played through an evolving combination of Hiwatt and Marshall heads and cabinets. Through he uses a coiltap switch to play with his tone and experiments with various "prepared guitar" techniques - "there's a lot you can do with garbage bag twist ties" - Denison otherwise avoids effects: "I concentrate on getting the most out of a simple setup. "I like to keep things hands-own. When we play live, it's usually a wild free-for-all, and any extra stuff onstage tends to get trashed. I bought a digital delay unit once, and on the second song it got smashed apart by the kids onstage." Despite the trampled gear, Denison relishes his stage time: "Playing guitar loudly in front of people is just a basic, fun thing to do."

la Travis Bean che usava dovrebbe essere questa: http://www.elderly.com/items/30U-9896.htm

CITAZIONE
Travis Beans experienced a surge in poularity when a few prolific guitarists began using Travis Beans exclusively. Duane Denison of the Jesus Lizard played a green turquoise Standard through many tours during the 1990-1994 period (the turquoise was a non-orignal color) prior to getting a sponsorship from Hamer guitars. Denison also played a white Standard with non-original pickups, but sold it in the early 1990s. Lee Renaldo of Sonic Youth, after playing Duane Denison's, bought one and plays it live. At some point, two of Renaldo's Beans were stolen (#102 and #375) and recovered, but as I recall were badly damaged. Last, but not least, is Steve Albini. Denison first played a Travis Bean while recording with Albini

da questo estratto emerge che suonava anche chitarre Hamer

sempre su Denison, con i Tomahawk usava queste chitarre (
"Gibson hollowbody modello ES-135, dotata di ponte Bigsby"

anche in versione Sunburst

Fernandes

ma la strumentazione attuale di Duane è descritta dettagliatamente da lui stesso: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...logID=288936990

GUITARS:
Fernandes Vertigo Elite (2, an '01 and an '04)
Gibson Les Paul BFG (see video at www.gibson.com/bfg/denison.htm)
Fender Precision bass(@ early 80's)
Gibson ES 135 (w/Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups and Bigbsy vibrato)
Martin (000-1C) and Martin Backpacker

The Jesus Lizard: Travis Bean standard / Hamer Daytona / Yamaha SBG 50

AMPS:
Hiwatt Custom 100 heads (@late '70's and early '80's)
Hiwatt 4x12 cabinet
Fender Vibro-King
SWR Workingman's 15 bass amp

EFFECTS:
TC Electronic G-Force w/ Roland midi controller
Menatone Red Snapper overdrive pedal
Seymour Duncan pickup boost pedal
Ernie Ball volume pedal

STRINGS:
Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky

DEMOS RECORDED ON:
Korg D1600 work station w/
Roland 770 drum machine

KEEPING IT ALL TOGETHER:
Franz electric metronome

per adesso questo è quel che ho. perdonate la disorganizzazione del post :ph34r:

Edited by Seba. - 31/3/2009, 13:31

unanota
view post Posted on 31/3/2009, 08:36

Grande, topic molto completo e interessante!
grazie! :)

James "Sawyer" Ford
view post Posted on 31/3/2009, 09:27

Davvero molto interessante.

nitraus
view post Posted on 31/3/2009, 11:24

grande seba!! hai fatto un report coi controcazzi, grazie mille :)

view post Posted on 31/3/2009, 12:35

Group:

ho aggiornato l' ultima lista, non mi ero accorto che il post nel blog degli Ussa era stato modificato... adesso ci sono anche gli anni delle chitarre

mi chiedo se con la Gibson i pezzi dei Jesus Lizard che farà dal vivo risulteranno altrettanto "taglienti" come in passato... "The Spoils" degli USSA, l' unico disco che mi risulta essere registrato con quella Les Paul BFG, vede una prestazione sottotono di Duane, anche a livello di suono...

Chaka
view post Posted on 31/3/2009, 13:27

Mamma mia quel suono di basso.. :wub: :002:
Per non parlare della chitarra..

view post Posted on 27/8/2011, 12:36

Group:

questa me l'ero persa: www.davidwmsims.com/2009/04/17/duane-denisons-new-guitar/
si tratta della chitarra che Duane ha usato nel tour della reunion dei TJL

flogrohe
view post Posted on 22/12/2011, 17:36

Amtsgericht Bad Hersfeld Aktenzeichen: HRB 2126 Bekannt gemacht am: 18.02.2010 12:00 Uhr

Veröffentlichungen des Amtsgerichts Bad Hersfeld In () gesetzte Angaben der Anschrift und des Geschäftszweiges erfolgen ohne Gewähr.

Löschungen von Amts wegen

Florian Grotehans Vermögensverwaltungs-GmbH, Bad Hersfeld, (Am Baumgarten 12, 36251 Bad Hersfeld).
Die Gesellschaft ist gemäß § 394 Absatz 1 FamFG wegen Vermögenslosigkeit von Amts wegen gelöscht.

Florian Grotehans Vermögensverwaltungs GmbH vermögenslos!

7 replies since 31/3/2009, 00:54   4584 views